11 Practices That Will Make You Instantly More Positive

life coach happyFeeling positive doesn’t have to be the result of your external circumstances.

You can learn to cultivate positivity anytime as long as you’re committed to it.  Here are 11 practices that will make you instantly more positive!

1.     Practice gratitude

Journal nightly about what you were thankful for. Think back on your day about what made you smile. Make this attitude of gratitude a fun practice and eventually it will just become your natural state of being.

2.     Meditate

Meditation brings you a sense of calm, taps into your intuition and can sooth your mind. Why not start by practicing for only a few minutes at the beginning or the end of your day and see where it takes you. Try a guided meditation with me by clicking here!

3.     Shift your perspective

Instead of focusing on how things are not working out try shifting your perspective. Look for the silver lining to your challenge – there’s always a silver lining.  What is the lesson life is trying to teach you?

4.     Compare yourself to you

Nothing good comes from comparing yourself to other people; it’s the quickest path to unhappiness. Instead look at others not for comparison but to celebrate the differences that make us unique.  BUT if you absolutely must compare yourself then do so with yourself!  Try to always be better than you were yesterday –  Check out this amazing guide on how to stop comparing yourself to others!

5.     Spend time in nature

Regardless of where you live spending time in nature will help calm your mind and open your heart.  Whenever you feel overwhelmed just step outside and appreciate the life around you.  Spending even just 5 minutes outside can give you a quick pick me up – Breath in deep and smile :)

6.     Be Silly!

Take the time out to laugh, be goofy or just smile at a stranger. As we get older, we forget this part and end up taking life way too seriously – shake it out and smile! Fun isn’t just for kids!

7.     Do a Random Act of Kindness

One of the best ways to feel instantly more positive is to do a random act of kindness.  You will be amazed by how quickly your mood and energy skyrockets! Even something small like a genuine smile goes a long way.

8.     Drop a bad habit

Is there something that you are doing that… well…. you’d like to stop doing?  Do you think about how much tv you watch or sugar you eat or internet you surf and you want to stop?  Okay, just start with today. Give up that bad habit for just 1 day and see what happens.  You might discover that you are happier without it!

9.     Let go of the complaining

Make an effort to notice the things you complain about and instead of indulging those thoughts decide to find a solution or just let it go.  When you complain you are draining your energy and lowering your mood.  The quickest way to feel instantly more positive is to let go of complaining.

10.  Daydream…

Do you have a dream that you secretly wish for?  Being a best-selling author or helping people with your gifts?  Imagine that dream, get excited about it and just hang out in that feeling…Daydreaming can help you get motivated to stay on course with your goals.  You are guaranteed to feel more positive!

11.  Give a compliment… to yourself!

When was the last time you looked into the mirror and just gave yourself a compliment for being amazing?  If you are like most people the answer is probably – never.  If you want to feel instantly happier look yourself in the mirror and say something that you are really proud of.  Is it your persistence, courage or hard work?  Say it out loud and say it to you!

Those are the 11 practices that will make you instantly more positive.  I challenge you to pick 3 practices that you want to start and commit to doing them today.

Now I’d love to hear YOUR story.  How do you stay positive in your life and what tips can you share?  In the comments section below please share your story and your best advice for staying positive.  We get tons of readers everyday and maybe your comment will help empower or inspire someone else…

Thank you for reading and commenting!

Vancouver life coach alycia

Enhanced by ZemantaIf you enjoyed this post, please don’t forget to share it with YOUR friends.  Here’s to spreading social love!

Like this post? Make sure you don't miss my next one - It's free!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted on: 26 Comments

26 Responses

1. Hello my name is Rosa from Rosa’s Resources beauty chat radio which airs live e every Sunday at 9 pm est. we have national and international listener’s all beauty, fashion and entertainment professionals. I would love to hear more about how to become more positive on my show. Please listen and if your interested we will schedule you for Sunday March 23 @ pm est
    if you confirm interest we will call in information
    thamks.

2. Veronica says:

Always choose you fights. If the fight outcome just doesn’t matter after the fight, then let it go and choose a fight worth of the outcome not your ego. I have chosen to live this way because I use to fight about everything, everything that really didn’t matter in the end. I am much happier to live and let live and quit fighting over the little things.

3. Christine Duncan says:

After being diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer a year ago, my outlook on life has changed. I know in no matter what the situation, things could always be worse. There is someone in more pain than me, someone sadder than me and someone lonelier than me.

• Alycia Hall says:

Thank you so much Christine for sharing that with us. It’s true there are so many people in the world who suffer so much… and yes things could ALWAYS be worse.

4. Tracey Maxwell says:

I’ve endured some very difficult life experiences but am proudly positive. It’s a choice, not always an easy one but still a choice. I try to keep perspective and to be grateful. There are always dark days but they pass and are merely a part of life rather than a lifestyle. I have several very negative people in my close personal life, I secretly use them to remind myself that it must be awful to think and feel like that day in and day out. I choose optimism!

• Alycia Hall says:

Hi Tracey, I love that you emphasize that being positive is a choice. I totally agree with you that it has to be a conscious choice! Dark days happen but as you said, they are part of life but not part of your lifestyle. Well said! Thanks for sharing your thoughts XO

5. Traci says:

I agree with all of those you have listed, especially the attitude of gratitude. It makes a tremendous difference when I impliment this into my daily routine– saying thank you out loud for the little things like the hot water in my shower to the truck I drive & the good health I’m in.
    Another suggestion would be to use self-affirmations. Some people choose to write them while others speak the words outloud and even in front of the mirror. I’ve chosen to use direct words as oppose to phrases.
    For example, when I start to feel insecure or even a sting if jealousy I immediately replace those feelings by saying “confidence, security, self esteem, confidence…I feel beautiful today, I feel empowered right now, I am equipped, I choose confidence, I choose to feel secure in all areas of my life”….okay, you get the picture!
    The more you discipline yourself to rebuke any negative thoughts, the more you will begin to feel good. Even if you don’t “feel” all that confident or secure, you just need to believe that you are. Your feelings will catch up

Sorry for the looonng response and I hope it may help someone else!

• Alycia Hall says:

Hi Traci! Thank you for sharing this wonderful tip. I totally see the value in positive affirmations too. You made a really good point that ‘your feelings will catch up’. It’s true that it takes time and sometimes the results aren’t immediate. Thanks again for sharing Traci XO

6. Kavitha Hari says:

hi Alycia Hsll!
    Awesome experience reading you 11 methods.
    I also practice such methods @ home ‘n outside.
    how i handled myself when i met a person with
    negative thoughts:
    initially I was upset ‘n disturbed, but then
    I took 3 deep breathe slowly then took a small walk nearby
    ‘n watched my kids video which I have in my mobile
    readily ‘n maintained my postive energy ‘n thought.
    take care

7. Jani says:

Very nice sharing, whenever I get upset or low I try to spend time with nature. Maybe watering the plants, give birds something to eat …. etc and it works :)

8. Jayshree says:

Hi Alycia,
    Felt great to read about your practices. I totally agree with all of it. Whenever I bump into a negative circumstance, I immediately remember to separate myself from it. Yes, it is a bit difficult but you can do it with little practice. I start to believe that the negativity is not mine, so I don’t have to worry about it. It will be taken care of by the universe, who is my ultimate well-wisher. I simply turn my focus to something I love.

Thanks for the post. :)

• Alycia Hall says:

Thank you for sharing Jayshree! Great points and so very true… Leaving it to the universe (who always has your back) to deal with it can feel so liberating. Turning your attention to something you love is such a great tip too – whatever we place our attention on grows.

9. Aunt SqwakaLoka says:

I love your points here. I agree with them all. I love going out in nature. Miss living out on the farm, although we just moved into a small, well it is called a “village”. My husband still works at the farm and I know all the ground so I go out a lot and just park my vehicle and walk. My favorite spot is one area where I take my blanket and a book, no one around for miles and I can be alone peacefully. I love to do pay-it-forwards. Am always out to make others smile. Turn their day around or just make it better. When I see or run into a negative person, I do my best to say “hello”, “have a great day” and of course smile. Sometimes you do have to separate yourself from them and do this for yourself. At these times I usually ask for strength and for help for them. :)

• Alycia Hall says:

I love your points! Sharing positivity with the people around you is such a wonderful way to make them and you feel more positive. I also agree that spending time in nature does wonders for your mood. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

10. M. Catlett says:

Much enjoyed! Let us also not forget prayer.

11. jose daniel says:

Muchas gracias …en verdad hacen falta este tipo de paginas.. la verdad no nos damos cuenta de todos los problemas personales que tenemos .. y este tipo de paginas nos ayudan de verdad ..GRACIAS :D

12. Kyle B says:

Great list! I really liked #4. Staying true to yourself and your values will always create greater happiness and a more positive vibe in your life.

Thanks again for sharing Alycia!

13. Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed stumbling across this. I am an avid supporter of paying it forward, so I was happy to read #7. I believe that a positive outlook is contagious! Thank you for sharing!

-Sara

14. This was a really uplifting read. We often forget that it’s the little things that can help us stay happy.

What works best for me is going back to your point of being in nature. At least once a week I like to drive out of town and spending some time outdoors. What also works for is spending some time in solitude. Gives you unadulterated perspective on things and helps you reflect on things.

15. Manny says:

This is a great article, I especially like 2,3,4 and 10. It takes changing self to change ones own life.